Waterside Campus, University of Northampton
The University of Northampton currently occupies two out-of-town campuses and is creating a new, purpose-built campus, the Waterside Campus. The University of Northampton’s Waterside Campus is located on the southern bank of the River Nene and is a brownfield site within a designated Enterprise Zone that was the former location of the Northampton power station and a warehouse.
PBA supported our client with their tender for the design and build Infrastructure Works contract. Our client was awarded the contract and began work on-site in late July 2015. We’re now appointed to carry out the design of the primary infrastructure elements of the project including:
- Bedford Road – upgrading to an urban dual carriageway with a signal controlled junction for the main access road to the Waterside Campus.
- New South Bridge Road – improvement and re-alignment to provide a western access to the Waterside Campus.
- North-South Spine Road – the main access and central ‘spine’ road in to the Waterside Campus from Bedford Road over the new River Nene bridge.
- East-West Link Road – the main east-west link road within the campus connecting the North-South Spine Road with New South Bridge Road.
- Service Road – providing the main access to the western part of the campus.
- Commercial Road - providing the main access to the eastern part of the campus.
- Adoptable foul water sewers serving part of the campus and the commercial development plots.
- Private foul and surface water drainage serving the majority of the campus.
Midsummer Meadow car park
- A new ParkMark accredited public car park to replace an existing facility ‘lost’ due to the Bedford Road improvements.
- Co-ordination layouts for the primary duct, cable and mains routes and chambers within the campus.
The Infrastructure Works construction is due to be completed by the end of November 2016. Construction of the campus buildings has commenced and will open for the academic year 2018.